Manukau Institute of Technology is committed to complying with the Privacy Act 2020 and all other applicable legislation and regulations, and will endeavour to protect all personal information that comes into its possession.
1. Collection of personal information
- Except as specified below, the Institute will only collect personal information that is voluntarily submitted to it either in person, through email, or through the online forms and surveys contained on its website or where the collection of personal information is authorised by the person to whom the information relates. The collection of personal information could include, but is not necessarily limited to, the following circumstances:
- Personal information submitted as a result of a brochure/ prospectus/ information request(s);
- Personal information submitted in an online application and/or enrolment form;
- Personal information submitted to lay a query or complaint with the Institute.
- The following information will only be collected by the Institute server for statistical and system administration purposes when you visit the Institute website:
- your browser's internet address;
- your server's address;
- your domain name and IP address;
- operating system;
- date and time of visit to the website, and the pages you accessed and documents you downloaded;
- username entered if you are accessing a restricted site.
- In the usual course of the Institute's business we will not attempt to identify individuals from information recorded by the Institute's server. However, law enforcement and other Government agencies may legally require access to this information in the course of an investigation.
2. Use and disclosure of personal information
- The Institute collects personal information in order to carry out our operations, functions and activities as a tertiary education institution established in accordance with the Education Act 1989.
- The Institute takes all reasonable steps to keep your information safe and secure.
- Personal information collected will only be used for the purpose for which it was collected and/or for approved student administration or course-related purposes (e.g. information sent to Studylink to verify enrolment for the purposes of student loans and/or allowances; information published in the award handbook during graduation; course-related information sent to enrolled students via text messaging) or to comply with various legislative reporting requirements.
- Only authorised Institute staff will have access to personal information held by the Institute, and no personal information will be disclosed to third parties except in the following circumstances:
- with the consent of the individual concerned;
- as expressly provided in this privacy statement or any other relevant documentation (e.g. an application or enrolment form); and/or
- where disclosure is required or authorised by law.
- Personal information relating to students may be disclosed to, or sought from, other educational institutions for the purpose of verifying and maintaining information relating to academic records.
- Where required by law, the Institute releases personal information to government agencies such as the New Zealand Police, the Department of Justice, the Ministry of Social Development and the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC).
- The Institute contracts out certain aspects of its support services/IT administration to external contractors, which may mean that the Institute's external contractors have access to your personal information. The Institute's contractors are required to sign confidentiality agreements and are only authorised to use or access personal information in order to deliver the functions/services that the Institute has requested. Where a contractor is based outside New Zealand, we will not transfer any of your information unless we are satisfied that the contractor has obligations to protect your information that are at least equivalent to the protections offered under New Zealand law.
- The Institute will retain your personal information for as long as is necessary for us to comply with applicable legal requirements including, without limitation, the Public Records Act 2005.
3. Access to and correction of personal information
- You have the right to request access to any of your personal information held by the Institute and, where you believe that such information is inaccurate or requires correction, you have the right to request its amendment.
- You have the right to complain to the Office of the Privacy Commission if you think that we have breached your privacy. You can find further details at the Privacy Commission website (www.privacy.org.nz).
- If you are in the European Union, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) gives you the right to:
- if applicable, withdraw consent for the Institute to process your personal data;
- require the Institute to delete your data (if that data is not required to meet legal requirements);
- request a copy of your personal data that you have provided to the Institute in a structured, commonly-used and machine-readable format;
- restrict or object to certain processing activities;
- make a complaint to a supervisory authority.
4. Usage tracking via cookies and Google Analytics
- The Institute uses Google Analytics and its Demographic and Interests reports to determine which pages on this website attract the most interest, and which content is of interest to which groups, to help the Institute improve this website's content. The Institute does this using a feature of your browser called a cookie to assign your computer a 'User ID'. Cookies do not contain information by which the Institute can identify you personally – they only identify your computer to the Institute's servers. The Institute does not use these cookies together with any other cookies to identify you.
If you have any queries or concerns about the privacy of your personal information, please contact:
Kara Hiron - Privacy Officer, Manukau Institute of Technology
Last updated 22 September 2021